Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A weekend in Seoul with Anne!

This past weekend I had a lovely time with Anne in Seoul.  This is going to be one very long post, but I cannot be bothered to divide it or organize it in any way.  Enjoy!

1) We went to a Rilakuma (a Japanese anime bear) cafe!









2) We walked around a stationery store (where I found the giant banana) and market

A cool building.  That is all.



Much seaweed!
A video of a Korean pop store:



3) Anne treated me to the best bibimbap I've ever had in my life.  I was in heaven.  I need to return before I leave Korea. 




4) Shopping & snacks
Weird description on a make-up product box

Hoddok!!  It's a pastry that's fried or baked (my favourite is baked but
it's not available at this time of year) and filled with melted brown sugar and nuts I think...



Cute hats for kids!!
5) Anne's studio apartment, where she kindly hosted me for the night :)





6)We had a breakfast of kimbap (like Korean maki roll, not shown here) and rabokki (ramyon + dokbokki = rabokki, a very spicy noodle and rice cake dish

Koreanism: Green tea and red bean donut at Dunkin Donuts.
I didn't buy it, but thought it interesting.

Koreanism: a bar of soap attached to a metal bar in public washrooms instead of soap dispensers,
which are available in some public washrooms

Ice chocos!!!  Hot chocolate, but they're ice cold for a
refreshing and sweet summer beverage!
7) Samziegil, a place of nice memories for me in the Insadong (traditional) district of Seoul

Samziegil video:


We got red bean pastries shaped like dong!!  Dong = poo!

I made some new friends!

I need you all to convince Jesse to wear couples shirts with me

We are so angelic!


8) The rest of the day in or around Insadong...
Korea's latest craze: a hollow waffle shaped like a snorkel,
filled with vanilla ice cream

Dinner time: Samgyetang = a whole chicken filled with rice in mushroom broth

If Jesse's not keen on couples shirts maybe
couples skirt/shorts will do?

Cool dude making giant bubbles for fun.  I don't think he's getting paid
and he didn't have a bucket out to accept change


A place near Insadong that has stores and restaurants in
traditional Korean-style homes

I wonder if the coffee shop only hired good looking baristas...

Random big statue at atop a building

Cool and not-so-random statue atop an art centre

I found a new best friend!  But she's a little stiff...





1 comment:

  1. The hoddok seems similar to a beavertail. You seem very excited to have found a banana stuffed toy. Did you purchase it? Couples shirts/shorts are way cooler than couple's shirts. ;)

    ReplyDelete